Translate

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Brown Rice

I know a lot of people are scared or put off of brown rice because it takes longer to make than white rice. Well I'm here to tell you that it's easy and doesn't take that much longer at all!

Here's a list of health benefits of eating brown rice.


Fluffy delicious rice is only 35 minutes away!

Click "READ MORE" for the recipe!



BROWN RICE
1 cup brown rice
2 cups water (for you folks with well water, filter it) or chicken broth
Osem chicken consomme
2 bay leaves
Unsalted butter

First rinse your rice until the water runs clear. Pick out any funky looking rice.
...I need to do the dishes
Next, measure out 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Get out your chicken consomme (if you are using stock or broth, skip this step.


Once the water is boiling, add the rice and bay leaves. Return to a boil and then bring it down to a simmer.


Put the top on, and set your timer for 30 minutes!


Check on your rice after five minutes to make sure it's not exploding all over your stovetop. I have to set my stove very, very low to achieve a nice simmer.

When the timer goes off, check the rice to see if it's cooked thoroughly. If it's still a bit hard, add a 1/4-1/2 cup of water and let it cook for another five minutes or so.


Smother in unsalted butter (chicken consomme is wicked salty). Enjoy!

Brown rice ends up only taking about 15 minutes longer than white rice. That's almost a whole episode of The Office. I'm not going to complain if I get to watch an extra episode while dinner is cooking. When we move, I'm going to invest in one of those fancy rice cookers with a steamer section on top. I'm looking forward to it! :)

No comments: