Translate

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Rolls

I love these rolls. They're SO good fresh out of the oven, and when they cool down, they're pretty much English muffins. They're great toasted with preserves or peanut butter.



Click "READ MORE" for the recipe!


ROLLS

4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 packet rapid rise yeast
1.5-2 cups WARM water  -- If you have hard tap water (like myself!), use bottled or filtered
olive oil
herbs
large bowl
medium size bowl
spatula
saran wrap





Mix flour, salt, and yeast in a large bowl.


Add 1 cup of water slowly, and start mixing. Add up to 1 more cup slowly while mixing. This can get a little complicated because flour will get stuck all over your hands. Stop adding water when there isn't any dry flour left.


Transfer to the dough to the medium sized bowl and cover with saran wrap. Let it sit for 1-2 hours. If you're not using rapid rise yeast, you'll need to let is rise for about 18 hours. I let mine rise on the stove top because I have pilot lights that keep it warm.

Put flour down on a stable top (I used my kitchen table). Put the dough in it (use a spatula to help get all of it out - it should be relatively easy) and knead it until it's no longer sticky. Cut into the size roll you want. Lightly brush with olive oil and add herbs. I only put herbs on a few because I want to use the rest as English muffins.


Bake at 425* for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. If your oven is wonky like mine, it might bake a bit unevenly.


This is how mine turned out. Fresh out of the oven with a pat of butter melted on. Yum!


I have some chickpeas I'm sprouting tonight/tomorrow, so be prepared for some hummus recipes!

No comments: