Translate

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Challah

When celebrating the new year, challah is shaped round to symbolize the circle of life.


I attempted to braid mine, but it didn't turn out so well. Also this was my second attempt and I did have help (thanks, husband!).


Click "READ MORE" for the recipe!


CHALLAH
1/2 cup warm water (113g)
6 cups canola oil (74g)
1/4 cup honey (85g)
2 medium eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour (482g)
1.5 tsp kosher salt
1 tablespoon active dry yeast

GLAZE
1 medium egg
1 tablespoon cold water


Mix the yeast and honey together. Add warm water. I heat mine on the stove.

I'm super attractive when I bake. Don't try to deny it.

Add the oil. Whisk.

Add the two eggs. Whisk.

Add salt. Whisk.

Add the flour one cup at a time and mix with a wooden spoon.



Use a handheld mixer to knead the dough. I've tried kneading by hand in the past and it takes far too long because I'm very weak. If you can do it by hand, props to you!


Place in a large greased bowl. Cover with saran wrap. Go off and play on the internet for a few hours until it doubles in size.





If you're going to braid the dough, put flour down on your work surface and go to town. At a later date I will add instructions.

Use a fork to mix together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of cold water. Brush this over the dough.


Double layer your baking sheets so that the bottom of your bread doesn't burn.

Bake at 375*F (190*C) for 20 minutes. Cover loosely with foil and bake for another 25 minutes.


Look how yummy!

No comments: