Translate

Friday, August 9, 2013

Lately

I have been struggling with my husband being deployed. There is no doubt about that. I don't attempt to hide it. Right now I'm supposed to be in DC at a Yellow Ribbon event, but about twelve things went wrong with the whole process.

I have been working with a six year old this summer on developing healthy eating habits. We start every morning with 10-40 minutes of yoga and stretching, then we made breakfast (either a smoothie, yogurt, or pancakes). After we do "boring work stuff"/tutoring we start to get ready for lunch. I got a dollar plate from Five Below and drew the MyPlate on top of it. It's an updated version of the food pyramid many of us grew up with.




Here's an example of the first balanced meal, chosen entirely by the child:

Meatballs, peas, white rice, orange juice, and milk

How proud I am of the child, I can't fully explain. It's a very tough road to develop healthy habits and positive body image at such a young age.

I'll share with you one of the first "recipes" I ever brought to work with me. It's very simple, kid friendly, and versatile.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RANCH DIP
2 cups plain low fat Greek yogurt
1 packet of Ranch spice mix

Mix together. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Here are some of the uses of Greek yogurt Ranch dip:
Use in place of marinara sauce when making pizza
Dip carrots, broccoli, and other veggies in it
Use it to try out new foods - it can't be ALL bad if you get to have Ranch dip with it! :)




I'll have more recipes up soon. I left them at someone's house and this was the only one I could remember. :)

No comments: